The Mongolian language to refer to the airport use the term niseh ongotsny buudal or just niseh buudal, for example Altai niseh buudal.
In Mongolia, Chinggis Khaan airport of Ulaan Baator, is the only international airport of the country. There are 25 airports but but 15 of them operate commercial flights.
Free import by:
1. passengers of 18 years of age or older:
- 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars and 250 grams of tobacco;
- 1 liter vodka, 2 liters of wine, and 3 liters of beer;
2. all passengers:
- old currencies, 1 per appropriate unit, which is not in use but only for collection purpose;
- personal effects.
Additional Information on regulations:
Following items must be declared on arrival: archeological artifacts, ancient books and manuscripts, art, electronic goods.
Prohibited: books, film, tape or other medium that may be considered violent or pornographic, narcotics or psychoactive substances or their accessories;
Restrictions: archeological or palaeontological artifacts, firearms and spare parts, human blood or body parts, over-the-counter medicines, poisons, radioactive or chemical substances, samples of animals or plants for analysis and weapons.
Same as is allowed for import. However, goods (not for industrial and trade purposes) are restricted to a value of USD 500.-.
Dogs and cats require a Good Health Certificate.
Baggage Clearance regulations:
Baggage is cleared at the first airport of entry.
Currency Import regulations:
Local currency (Mongolian Tugrik-MNT) and foreign currencies: no restrictions if declared on arrival.
Currency Export regulations:
Local currency (Mongolian Tugrik-MNT) and foreign currencies: up to the amount imported and declared.
Airport Tax is levied on all passengers departing from Mongolia. Fee: USD 12.-.
1. Tourists who are coming from European countries where there is no Mongolian diplomatic presence are eligible to obtain on-arrival visa at the airport in Ulaanbaatar or Mongolian border points.
2. Transit visa can also be applied at Mongolian borders if the applicant is coming from European countries where there is no Mongolian diplomatic presence and has an onward flight/train ticket or obtained a visa if applicable, of the country he or she plans to visit immediately after Mongolia. (Transit visa allows for a stay up to 10 days in Mongolia)
Important notice: You must contact the relevant diplomatic mission whether your country is among the countries whose nationals are eligible to receive on-arrival visa before your intended travel to Mongolia.
General requirements for visa applications will apply for applicants requesting on-arrival visa.
To avoid longer processing times, travelers are advised to complete the application form prior to their arrival in Mongolia. Visa fee shall be paid on arrival.
3. Visitors coming to Mongolia for a purpose other than tourism may only be issued on arrival visa if the following requirements are met:
– Applicant is coming from countries where there is no Mongolian diplomatic mission
– You must have an inviting person/entity who must apply for your on-arrival visa approval at the Immigration Agency of Mongolia 14 days prior to your expected arrival (www.immigration.gov.mn)
– Official/government visitors may be issued on-arrival visa if an inviting government/public organization apply for your visa approval at the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mongolia (www.consul.mn)
or contact us directly for last minute information.