In general all foreign nationals are required to have a visa to enter the Republic of Turkmenistan. Tourist visa is issued by the Immigration Service of the Republic of Turkmenistan on the basis of application from a licensed travel agency in Turkmenistan. The approval period takes from 5 up to 20 days. The Immigration Service reserves the right to deny a visa application without any explanations. Approved visa application is faxed directly to the embassy or consulate of the Republic of Turkmenistan in the country where the traveler is receiving visa.
Tourists may apply for a visa at any Turkmenistan embassy or consulate abroad or obtain it directly at the Turkmen land border at Farab (Bukhara, Uzbekistan), Shavat (Khiva, Uzbekistan), Khojeyli (Nukus, Uzbekistan); Gaudan (Bajgiran/Mashhad, Iran), Bekdash (Aktau, Kazakhstan). Visa is not issued at the land borders of Serakhs (Iran), Serhetabat (Afghanistan) and Turkmenbashi (the Caspian Sea Port).
Turkmenistan Visa Application Requirements:
1. Two completed visa applications;
2. Valid passport and its copy. Passport must have at least six months validity period from the day of entrance to Turkmenistan;
3. Two passport size photos glued to the applications;
4. Visa fee;
5. Approved tourist visa support letter;
6. Stamped, self-addressed envelope, if the embassy agreed to serve by post.
Transit visa for Turkmenistan you may obtain without LOI. It is available at all Turkmenistan Consulates upon presentation of valid onward visas or relevant ticketing where applicable. No transit visa is available at any Turkmenistan border points including Ashgabat airport.